About the Borough of Narberth
Narberth, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, was laid out surrounding the existing Elm station on the Pensylvania Railroad's "main line" and incorporating the community of Libertyville in its northwest corner around the intersection of N. Wynnewood and Montgomery Avenues. It is named after the town of Narberth, Pembrokeshire, Wales.
The Borough of Narberth was incorporated the 21st day of January, A. D. 1895. A. H. Mueller was elected the first Burgess in February, 1895. The boundary lines are Montgomery Avenue on the north, Haverford Avenue on the east, Rockland Avenue on the south, and Wynnewood Avenue on the west.
— S. F. Hotchkin, Rural Pennsylvania In the Vicinity of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, George W. Jacobs & Co., 1897), p. 78
At one half square mile and a population of 4,282 (2010 census), Narberth is centered on its SEPTA train station and downtown business district.
It is know and loved as a
walkable town: sidewalks run along every street, and no high-traffic arteries run through it,
in contrast with most other towns in the area.
What is a borough?
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania allows three types of municipal governments: cities, townships, and boroughs. Narberth Borough lies entirely within, but is not part of Lower Merion Township, which was incorporated five years later, in 1900. So unlike other towns on the Main Line, such as Ardmore, Bryn Mawr or Wayne, Narberth has its own government which consists of a mayor (formerly known as a Burgess) and a volunteer seven-member Borough Council.
Narberth Borough shares some services with Lower Merion, notably the school district, but maintains its own Police, Fire, highway and park departments, and contracts its own trash and recycling collection, and storm and sewer system.
Historical documents in this section
- Our Town
Scanned, searchable issues of the 1914-1949 Narberth newspaper, published until 1927 by the Narberth Civic Association.
- Narberth Yesterday
was re-discovered in 2012 by then Civic Association president Andy Haakenson. Written as a term paper at Temple University in 1944 by lifelong Narb Jean Staples.
- Our Borough, A Fiftieth Anniversary Report 1945
Narberth's origins and first 50 years; its 67 pages contain many old photographs and maps.
- Narberth's Historical Prelude, 1616-1895
By Carden F. Warner, published in 1905. "A Brief Sketch of the Borough of Narberth, and its Vicinity, From the Beginning of the Seventeenth Century to the Close of the Nineteenth."